iMayberry Community

I have seen this episode several times and something I never understood was the dialogue between Andy and Roger on the front porch.  They were discussing the possibility of Roger becoming Andy's uncle and of course, Andy is scared to death that Aunt Bee likes Roger and would marry him should he ask.  

I watched it today and I think I finally understand how Andy handled it but I wanted to hear from expert Mayberrians to see how they interpreted the scene.  So, if you're interested, watch the last few minutes of the episode and paraphrase the scene here.  I think it might be interesting to read how others explain the scenario. Thanks in advance.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sry to be distracting from your original point Dud at the opening of this
thread when you asked about how other Mayberrians would interpret the scene between Andy
and RH on the porch.
 But After Roger interfered with Andy fixing the plug on the lamp and then went back into the kitchen to bother Aunt Bee, Opie asked Andy if he liked Mister Hanover, and Andy said:
"Ope, I have tried to bring you up teachin you that there is some good in everybody, same goes for Mister Hanover, and besides he'll be leaving Wednsday so there's no point in discussing it any further."
Opie said:" I feel the same way you do Pa.  I don't like him either."
I have done almost the same exact thing with my kids when we had a vistor who I wasn't too crazy about.
Don't let-on to the kids that you can't stand em.
Try to find good in everybody, but keep it to yourself.
Because they won't be staying for too long anyway.

What about the petunias?  Mr. Hangover tried to horn in on Andy's flower planting even though he was an expert.  I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back with Andy.  If I was writing this show, instead of planting petunias, I would have Andy on the porch cleaning his revolver.  That way when ol Roge tried to grab it away to show him how to do it... BANG!  Too bad.  Roger shot himself.  Problem solved.

Bottom line: All Roger had was a pair of 10's and Andy was holding a Full House.

It saddens me that Wallace Ford's last film role was as a scoundrel that everyone hates. Check out, 'A Patch of Blue' 1965 to see him at his best. He was a bit of a scoundrel in that film as well but had a good heart. He also played the boxer father of young Jackie Cooper in the original production of, 'The Champ.'

A Patch of Blue is a very good film and Wallace Ford does play a somewhat unsympathetic character, though he has his good moments too. Compared to Shelley Winters' character, he was a sweetheart. I'm sure Ford would have loved to be the star of The Champ, but that was Wallace Beery.

Right you are, Doc! Got my Wallace's confused.

I seem to get confused more and more as time goes by Keevy...but then again, "I am just getting over the grip."

Stuff happens. I mix up a lot of these older stars too. Need a scorecard to keep them straight.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Donna Calloway is now a member of iMayberry Community
1 hour ago
Bernie Fife replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Barney’s judo teacher, I believe."
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"That’s always one of my favorite exchanges. Andy = “I’m all ears.” Barney…"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Proof!!!!"
Wednesday
"Yes Sir! That Frank sure is smart, as Goober would say. Despite Helen's denials, her and Frank…"
Tuesday
Dud replied to SWFLguy's discussion never saw that ending
"Money grubbing spinsters they are!"
Monday
Dud replied to SWFLguy's discussion never saw that ending
"If you subscribe to Netflix you get the whole show (all 28 mins.) with the missing segments that…"
Monday
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Frank Smith from "Andy's Rival" ?"
Monday
"Another hint: Possibly the most educated man to visit Mayberry!"
Monday
"That's a good guess Larry, but that is not the person. I am sure a Roger had that on his mind…"
Nov 11
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Mayor Pike, I’m wondering if it wasn’t Roger Bryant, the book publisher, on Helen the…"
Nov 11
"And it was a color episode."
Nov 11

© 2017   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service