iMayberry Community

I have seen this episode several times and something I never understood was the dialogue between Andy and Roger on the front porch.  They were discussing the possibility of Roger becoming Andy's uncle and of course, Andy is scared to death that Aunt Bee likes Roger and would marry him should he ask.  

I watched it today and I think I finally understand how Andy handled it but I wanted to hear from expert Mayberrians to see how they interpreted the scene.  So, if you're interested, watch the last few minutes of the episode and paraphrase the scene here.  I think it might be interesting to read how others explain the scenario. Thanks in advance.

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sry to be distracting from your original point Dud at the opening of this
thread when you asked about how other Mayberrians would interpret the scene between Andy
and RH on the porch.
 But After Roger interfered with Andy fixing the plug on the lamp and then went back into the kitchen to bother Aunt Bee, Opie asked Andy if he liked Mister Hanover, and Andy said:
"Ope, I have tried to bring you up teachin you that there is some good in everybody, same goes for Mister Hanover, and besides he'll be leaving Wednsday so there's no point in discussing it any further."
Opie said:" I feel the same way you do Pa.  I don't like him either."
I have done almost the same exact thing with my kids when we had a vistor who I wasn't too crazy about.
Don't let-on to the kids that you can't stand em.
Try to find good in everybody, but keep it to yourself.
Because they won't be staying for too long anyway.

What about the petunias?  Mr. Hangover tried to horn in on Andy's flower planting even though he was an expert.  I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back with Andy.  If I was writing this show, instead of planting petunias, I would have Andy on the porch cleaning his revolver.  That way when ol Roge tried to grab it away to show him how to do it... BANG!  Too bad.  Roger shot himself.  Problem solved.

Bottom line: All Roger had was a pair of 10's and Andy was holding a Full House.

It saddens me that Wallace Ford's last film role was as a scoundrel that everyone hates. Check out, 'A Patch of Blue' 1965 to see him at his best. He was a bit of a scoundrel in that film as well but had a good heart. He also played the boxer father of young Jackie Cooper in the original production of, 'The Champ.'

A Patch of Blue is a very good film and Wallace Ford does play a somewhat unsympathetic character, though he has his good moments too. Compared to Shelley Winters' character, he was a sweetheart. I'm sure Ford would have loved to be the star of The Champ, but that was Wallace Beery.

Right you are, Doc! Got my Wallace's confused.

I seem to get confused more and more as time goes by Keevy...but then again, "I am just getting over the grip."

Stuff happens. I mix up a lot of these older stars too. Need a scorecard to keep them straight.

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Ralph Henderson replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"It's the old "typecast" syndrome. Once you play a fella named "Goober",…"
10 hours ago
Dud replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"I think he was hard up for work and they got him cheap."
12 hours ago
Dud replied to Thelscuz's discussion Is There A Doctor In The House?
"Bert the traveling salesman also got the versitis in his shoulder from carrying that suitcase. And…"
12 hours ago
Ralph Henderson replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"It just wasn't Barney's key though!"
15 hours ago
"Only a couple are in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame though -- which speaks volumes of that…"
15 hours ago
Dud replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"Believe Me If All Thy Endearing Young Charms - sung by Raif Hollister"
16 hours ago
George's TV Repair replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"From wikipedia: "and the entire Wrecking Crew was inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame and…"
21 hours ago
"Word is that it was a man named Howard Roberts. He was a very accomplished player with credits on…"
yesterday
Ralph Henderson replied to Mayor Pike's discussion Barney-isms
""Ya see, Thelma Lou - this is what we call the deadly game. I'm in it for keeps.""
yesterday
Shorty Cox replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"Speaking of music in Mayberry, in the third ep, "Guitar Player" James Best plays the…"
yesterday
Dud replied to Mayor Pike's discussion Barney-isms
"We got lots of swings! We just don't use 'em at night!"
yesterday
Larry Grainger liked ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
yesterday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service