Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Michael Z replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"And there was "Sharon" of the Song Festers episode, played by Barbara (Edwards) Griffith, Andy Griffith's first wife in real life. From what I see at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2796855/?ref_=nmbio_sp_3 this was her only acting…"
4 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to John Lane's discussion How do you persuade someone to give TAGS a try?
"That was a great sentiment and a wonderful testament to the show!"
6 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Thelscuz's discussion Young 'Uns
"I appreciate it!  I can remember all kinds of stuff about the show, but I can't remember where I parked the car!  "
6 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Susan Plesha's discussion It has arrived!
"It is great! It will never replace our beloved TAGS, but it lets us have several great cast members for a few more years.  I think of it as a bridge to Return to Mayberry in a way.  Andy makes several appearances.  I think you'll…"
8 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"They had a thing going with the Postal Service there for awhile, didn't they?  Remember when Barney and the guy from the Post Office (Dub Taylor) got into it about who had the better bulletin board?"
8 hours ago
Rare Nickle replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"He was also the postman that delivered mail to the courthouse."
13 hours ago
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"That was Regis.  He just came down out of the mountains to cause trouble. "
14 hours ago
Michael Z replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"How about the guy protesting about the "Gold Standard" when the gold truck came through in the "Black Day For Mayberry" episode. Then Gomer was left to hold his picket sign. Not quite sure what this guy was about?"
16 hours ago
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"How about Clint Biggers?  He's the guy that owned all them dogs.  Dogs look after one another.  Giraffes are selfish."
16 hours ago
Mason Syran replied to John Lane's discussion Why weren't the color episodes announced?
"I don't know if there was a major reason or just a change-up.  Gunsmoke was like that too; some of their openings had announcing, but i don't think the later ones did."
yesterday
Rosemary Wiseman replied to Thelscuz's discussion Young 'Uns
"Thanks, Susan. I try, but my knowledge of Mayberry is nowhere near as good as yours!"
yesterday
Rosemary Wiseman replied to ColHarV's discussion ONE and DONE.
"Karen Moore, the skeet-shooting femaile that had to "pass muster" with Andy."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service