Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Latest Activity

Uncle Dan replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
""First they tell you to speak up, then they tell you to hush up." Who said that?"
4 hours ago
""look at him down there beating the water to a froth" Who said that?"
4 hours ago
"Barney said that to Andy."
4 hours ago
"That was Emma Watson wasn't it? About the traveling shoe salesman that everyone thought was big time producer from New York. Those gossiping men."
4 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Shorty Cox's discussion "Return to Mayberry" Reunion show
"I agree with you completely!  My feeling is that if I wake up in Mayberry when I die, I won't be disappointed at all!  "
6 hours ago
Shorty Cox replied to Shorty Cox's discussion "Return to Mayberry" Reunion show
"I'm not a "detail noticer" nor would I do well in a trivia contest.  I watch TAGS for the love of the town and people. I know it is a real place I hope to go to someday.  To paraphrase the old song " When I die, I…"
9 hours ago
Shorty Cox replied to Denise Noe's discussion BLACK & WHITE IS BEST
"You are both correct.  I purchased the box set, I have yet to watch a color ep. "
9 hours ago
Shorty Cox replied to Denise Noe's discussion "PRISONER OF LOVE" AND ITS ODD POIGNANCE
"I agree with all.  That episode has always troubled me regarding my respect for Andy.  I was so scared Andy was going to fail me by giving in to his male urges.  Co Harvey, you are so right.  Once the State Police Deputy came,…"
10 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Yea. (Howard Morris) "
10 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Charlene said that about Andy. Who said: "Did you ever see a rich kids bicycle, solid chromium with at least 6 or 7 red reflectors""
10 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Denise Noe's discussion "PRISONER OF LOVE" AND ITS ODD POIGNANCE
"You made some very good points!  I couldn't agree more."
10 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"That was the game warden in the same episode who discovered that Andy was fishing without a license.  This was one of my favorite episodes.  "
10 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service