Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Dave is now a member of iMayberry Community
3 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to Keevy Hazelton's discussion Who Is It?
"Well I be dogged, thanks Thel"
4 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Keevy Hazelton's discussion Who Is It?
"Yes, Dave, they're both showing up just fine.  Think you might need Gomer to work on your computer?"
4 hours ago
Mrs. Mendlebright replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Aunt Bee loved her garbage disposal almost as much as she loved her bed jacket."
6 hours ago
Dr. Pendyke replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Barney and the old salt and pepper suit. He really got his money's worth out ofthem, that's for sure. And knowing how "fiscally conservative" Barney was, thatcould only be a plus. I've always thought he had a whole rack full…"
7 hours ago
"I can't see my pictures, is it my computer? Can anyone see my 2 pictures posted above? "
7 hours ago
Keevy Hazelton replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Frank Meyer's "valuables." Andy: "Frank, you've just been thrown out of your house; I'd call that an emergency." Frank: "Yeah, you got a point there.""
8 hours ago
Rare Nickle replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Rocks..................Ernest T Bass loves his rocks."
9 hours ago
George's TV Repair replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Goober and Gomer 'bout always had a "shop" rag."
16 hours ago
"My picture is gone, here it is again: "
23 hours ago
Thelscuz posted a discussion

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....

Like many of us, the citizens of Mayberry had their "favorite things."  These were possessions or objects they used which were easily identified with them.  In a few cases, the "favorite thing" was something the Mayberrian just dreamed of, yearned…See More
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Brandon Patrick's discussion An image for us die-hards
"Clever, Brandon.  Wish we had the sound effects to go with it.  Got any more?"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service