Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Michael Z replied to Michael Z's discussion Dumbbell Awards
"Rather than hog the forum for 8 posts, I condense these 8 events from one episode, The Bighouse,…"
26 minutes ago
Michael Z replied to Michael Z's discussion Dumbbell Awards
"Yeah, that was pretty dumb! Kinda sad though, as it was the end of Thelma Lou on the show. "
1 hour ago
SWFLguy replied to Steve L's discussion New (or maybe not) Mr. Schwump Idea
"Sure looks like we'll never know. As cast members pass away, chances keep dwindling. Always…"
2 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Michael Z's discussion Dumbbell Awards
"Barney was terribly stupid to let Thelma Lou get away!  "
5 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"I'm gonna guess on this one. every time we're milkin' the cows. and calling the…"
5 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Barney:   "If we start _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  around he'll want to come…"
8 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""what for""
8 hours ago
Keevy Hazelton replied to Plain Claude's discussion Gold Truck Robbery in North Carolina
"I find it strange that the crooks just happened to be in the area when the truck broke down and…"
9 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Righto!    "You go in there and give them __________   ______!"?"
9 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to Thelscuz's discussion That Makes Me SO Mad!
"   Andy got really mad about the old freezer because Aunt Bee wouldn't  CALL…"
10 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Plain Claude's discussion Gold Truck Robbery in North Carolina
"  Sounds like Juanita spilled the beans--and I don't mean the ones at the diner where all…"
11 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Alfred Kahn 's discussion Andy Griffith Episodes
"Have fun!  Everything is ALL RIGHT in Mayberry...."
12 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service