Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Dave Cline replied to Chris Millican's discussion Favorite Lines: Briscoe Darling
""Ain't a horse in sight, but if one comes along I'll give him the right-away""
3 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion BEST LINES...GO!
"Not a line, but some business. Man in a hurry falls asleep having peeled an apple without breaking…"
7 hours ago
"Please excuse strangely placed former post. Typing with left hand."
7 hours ago
"Favorite line from "Mountain Wedding": He went out in the woods to…"
7 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to Chris Millican's discussion Favorite Lines: Briscoe Darling
"Three cuts of pie is my high water mark."
7 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion If You Can't Say Something Good, Don't Say Anything
"One of the strangest, nice things anyone ever said to another on TAGS was Andy's comment to…"
7 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Luther Heggs's discussion Betty Lynn's birthday celebration starts today!
"Hope "the sweetest girl in the world" has a happy, happy birthday:) "
8 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Chris Millican's discussion Favorite Lines: Briscoe Darling
"Briscoe, about Aunt Bee:  "I ain't about to be beat to death with no spoon.""
8 hours ago
Mrs. Mendlebright replied to Chris Millican's discussion Favorite Lines: Briscoe Darling
""I thought about killing him, but I kind of hated to go that far.""
9 hours ago
Franklin Dickerson replied to Chris Millican's discussion Favorite Lines: Briscoe Darling
""Well, then we'll just write to that Europe and bring in an outta towner.""
11 hours ago
Keevy Hazelton replied to Chris Millican's discussion Mealtime in Mayberry
"Aunt Bee is making one of Andy's least favorite dishes here- boiled beef. Aunt Bee: "I…"
12 hours ago
Keevy Hazelton replied to Chris Millican's discussion Mealtime in Mayberry
"And If I'm not mistaken, she served duck as the main course!"
12 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service