Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion Can You Guess the Episode by a Picture?
"What Luke Comstock didn't know was that he was actually coming to observe the Mayberry Knot…"
17 seconds ago
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion Can You Guess the Episode by a Picture?
"I liked the Mayberry Knot Tyin' Club demonstration in that episode."
38 seconds ago
Michael Z replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Opie said this in "Lawman Barney"right? But I think he said he wanted to be a…"
2 hours ago
Chris Millican liked Allan "Floyd" Newsome's discussion Mayberry Meet-up in Mt. Airy, NC 11-13 July 2014
9 hours ago
Bobby Butler posted photos
11 hours ago
melinda mace is now a member of iMayberry Community
11 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion Can You Guess the Episode by a Picture?
"Nailed ColHarv!! Barney "Now he's coming here to gun you down""
11 hours ago
John Lane posted a discussion

Cheers Characters and TAGS Characters Similarities

I started watching the sitcom "Cheers" and I noticed that two characters from Cheers are similar to…See More
13 hours ago
Susan Plesha posted a discussion

Another question about the Taylor house...

In the earlier shows, there was no coat closet in the living room by the front door!See More
19 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to Susan Plesha's discussion Can you explain this?
"You can see Andy in his bedroom in "The Rumor".  Aunt Bee had the room redecorated…"
yesterday
Dr. Pendyke replied to Thelscuz's discussion What's For Dinner?
"You're a braver person than I. I would let them go by and wave to them as they did so.…"
yesterday
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion Can You Guess the Episode by a Picture?
"This is within 20 seconds of the beginning of what episode? "
yesterday

© 2015   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service