Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Thelscuz replied to Jane Hinckley's discussion Character driven, not plot driven
"Clara fits into this category (A Character Redeemed) when she resorts to dirty tricks to win the…"
1 hour ago
Dave Cline replied to Michael Z's discussion The Many Names of Barney Fife
""That Lady Sheriff" (said by Ernest T. Bass)"
1 hour ago
Susan Plesha replied to SWFLguy's discussion locked in the cell?
"Well, I see what your point!  Maybe they could carry a cell key on their holster or something."
2 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"You are correct and Miss Crump gives you an A+!  Who said, "George and I will be living…"
2 hours ago
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"That would be your favorite school marm Helen talking about the upcoming Taylor's visit to…"
2 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to SWFLguy's discussion locked in the cell?
"Or Susan, they could put a handle on the inside to so you could get out.... no wait...... I…"
3 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to SWFLguy's discussion locked in the cell?
"I'm a little surprised that the lock wasn't changed so that it wouldn't…"
3 hours ago
Susan Plesha replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Who said, "The trip should be very educational for Opie."?"
3 hours ago
Bobby Butler joined Allan "Floyd" Newsome's group
Thumbnail

Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast

Join host Allan Newsome for Two Chairs No Waiting and enjoy a podcast about "The Andy Griffith…See More
4 hours ago
Bobby Butler liked Allan "Floyd" Newsome's group Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast
4 hours ago
Bobby Butler liked Allan "Floyd" Newsome's video
4 hours ago
Michael Z replied to Michael Z's discussion The Many Names of Barney Fife
""Sleep it off Tiger" Andy said to Barney in "If I had a Quarter of a Million.""
7 hours ago

© 2015   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service