Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

Latest Activity

Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I'll start, there was one for Bob Rogers in "Barney's Replacement"."
59 minutes ago
stagnation water and Thelscuz are now friends
7 hours ago
Thelscuz left a comment for Carmine Moccio
"Welcome to iMayberry.  Jump right in here and hang on, as Briscoe Darling would say.  All the best to you and yours (as Mr. Gomer Pyle would say)."
16 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""Ft. Lauderdale""
yesterday
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""singing voice""
yesterday
Carmine Moccio is now a member of iMayberry Community
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""Eatin' Goober Peas"?  That 'un always makes me cry...."
yesterday
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Ernest T: Cotton so white she stayed there all night. Charlene: That was good, Ernest T. Ernest T: Want to hear me sing ______ ______ ____?"
yesterday
"Otis Campbell."
yesterday
"even things up. "
yesterday
Jane Hinckley replied to Thelscuz's discussion Fact vs Fiction
" We have always assumed Mayberry was a friendly town, but the manicurist didn't find it friendly at all. She was so beautiful she made the wives jealous. So she gave up and went back home to marry Pierre.  The young man who…"
yesterday
Joe Hoover replied to Thelscuz's discussion All The Best to You and Yours
"that one makes me cry...sniff sniff"
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service