Now in the episode Barney Gets His Man , at 13:40 in the episode you see a visual of the State Police's  Police Car and The Mayberry Police Car. And they look almost exactly the same except for the writing on the car like "State Police or Mayberry Police". Am I right that they are almost a replica of each other or exactly the same??

Tags: Andy, Cars, Griffith, Police, Show

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be fairly normal, even today, because states often get 'deals' with a car maker to purchase all their police cars from that maker.  That would mean that many police agencies from that state would end up having patrol cars that were very similar.

+1 what Floyd said. 

These are likely 'Fleet' specials and / or 'Pursuit Vehicles", meaning souped up motors and tighter suspensions for the police market, be they state, county or municipal.  They are otherwise stripped down of most creature comforts, but usually have higher out put alternators for generating electricity for the power hungry radios and such.  As such they all were all basically the same shape, model and color to keep costs down.  The motors were likely heavy duty (four bolt mains) big block V-8's with huge carburetors and / or super chargers... or turbos.  This, in most cases made the pursuit vehicles faster than the civilian cars.  DesiLu probably had several pursuit vehicles in their fleet for TAGS and other shows. 

Another DesiLu offering, Sheriff of Cochise County/U.S. Marshal (1957-1960) made nearly exclusive use of Desotos.  Desoto may have been a sponsor.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Thelscuz replied to Mrs. Mendlebright's discussion Mayberrians in Other Roles
"Well, my first viewing of the Matlock episodes continues, as does my sighting of various former residents of TAGS.  Today I saw the farmer Barney suspected of growing marijuana (Andy later had to do midwife duties for his wife).  He was…"
13 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Aunt Bee says Doc Andrews always says ........you're no spring chicken. Who said "Home Wrecker ""
yesterday
Larry Mealer replied to Thelscuz's discussion The Best and the Worst
"That was one of Gomer's best and worst times ..........leaving without saying anything and then returning with the cor-sage ."
yesterday
Michael Z replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Have you ever seen a camp brochure that was this huge! (Opie Steps Up in Class) "
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Denise Noe's discussion The Pickles Episode: One of the Episodes in TV History
"And one time they were singing in the office while they did filing and paperwork.  I think Barney was actually singing harmony!  Guess he just got carried away when the full choir tuned up."
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Mrs. Mendlebright's discussion Mayberrians in Other Roles
"HA!  Jack Nicholson did his work well:) "
yesterday
Keevy Hazelton replied to Mrs. Mendlebright's discussion Mayberrians in Other Roles
"Great movie. John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart together; doesn't get much better."
yesterday
Keevy Hazelton replied to Mrs. Mendlebright's discussion Mayberrians in Other Roles
"'The Shining,' still holds up well, imo. I had a poster of Jack Nicholson from the scene at the end, showing him frozen stiff, on the wall of my garage, but it scared my granddaughter so I had to take it down."
yesterday
Denise Noe replied to Denise Noe's discussion The Pickles Episode: One of the Episodes in TV History
"I heard Barney in other episodes and he carried a tune just fine. He was out of whack for the choir but not when he and Andy were just singing along on Andy's porch."
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Denise Noe's discussion The Pickles Episode: One of the Episodes in TV History
"HA!  We know Barney would never have done that.  Till the end, he believed he was God's gift to the singing world.  MEEE-THEY, MEEE-THEY, I, O, U.... His petula oblongata must have had muscles on it--he exercised it so much!"
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion The Best and the Worst
"I agree with you, Dud, the WORST mistake anybody on TAGS ever made was Barney moving off and leaving Thel behind.  This just doesn't fit in with their love affair, does it?  I know Barney wasn't the most faithful beau in the…"
yesterday
Dud replied to Thelscuz's discussion The Best and the Worst
"We all know ol Barn had some shortcomings and we could devote an entire forum to his screw ups... but what was his worst? I think his worst screw up was moving to Raleigh and letting Thelma Lou slip away.   I think his greatest hour was the…"
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service