iMayberry Community

Dancing was a favorite activity for many of the Mayberry folks.  Sometimes The Dance became the focal point of the story.  Let's think about different occasions where there was dancing, discussion of a dance, or preparations for a dance.  The episode where Opie falls for Miss Crump was the one I watched this morning.  First time I ever thought about how important dancing was in Mayberry--even in grammar school:

Miss Crump is teaching her class to waltz as part of their learning about the culture of another country.  Opie's partner is absent so he and Miss Crump trip the light fantastic.  Opie falls for Helen--hard.  This, of course, leads to major complications.

Views: 468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here he is on the dance floor with no partner, thinking of cutting in on Andy,

Guess "Schwampie" had to be wary of those fast and strenuous dances.  His rug might have come loose if he had ever danced like Gomer did with Mary Grace.

There was Nate Bracy and his wife doing the Cha Cha Cha at the class reunion, and also I don't know if anyone mentioned the hoochy-goochy dance the Arabian girl was doing at the carnival; Andy asked them to 'tone it down' because some of the ladies had complained.

Floyd was so impressed.  He has such an interest in artistic, cultural things.

in "convicts at large" Floyd was dancing with a banana! (sort of)

Baily's bad boy was trying to swing on a Saturday night in his jail cell with a transistor radio up to his ear. 

Bailey: "Doesn't anybody in this town like to swing!?"

Barney: "Of course, we've got lots of swings. We just don't use 'em at night!"

Big Barn did just a little bit of a boogie-woogie in The Guitar Player.

Earnest T. and Ramona were cutting a rug pretty good but then Mrs. Wiley called him a creachter and that ruint it. 

In the same episode as the Bracy's doing their Cha-Cha-Cha, the reunion dance comes to a halt as Sharon DeSpain walks in. One of the "great natural romances of all time" picks right up again as Andy asks Sharon to dance.

By the way, is there anyone besides me that thinks Sharon looked enough like Thelma Lou to be her sister?

definitely!

I always thought that it WAS Thelmer Lou. 

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Latest Activity

Bernie Fife replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"I hope you never got trapped in a giant bowl of soup on a billboard!"
18 hours ago
Mayor Pike replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"That is one of my favorite Leave It To Beaver episodes. So many of the things that happened to…"
23 hours ago
George's TV Repair replied to Dud's discussion Like to read? Check this out...
"Nice!  Though I have to admit, reading comprehension is my weakest strength.  It was,…"
yesterday
Bernie Fife replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"A more recent example just dawned on me. Clint Howard (who has a very long list of credits) played…"
yesterday
Dr. Pendyke replied to Dud's discussion What would Mayberry look like today?
"Back in 2011 all sheriff offices in the state of NC were required to have dashboard and officer…"
yesterday
Dud posted a discussion

Like to read? Check this out...

One of the ways that the TAGS series had rubbed off on me; it has encouraged me to write.  I always…See More
yesterday
Dud replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"I just saw Dick Elliot in an episode of 'Everglades' (1961-62).  He played…"
yesterday
Dud replied to Dud's discussion What would Mayberry look like today?
"Good reckonin' there Mayor."
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to Dud's discussion What would Mayberry look like today?
"Truthfully, I shudder to think what Mayberry would look like today? People would be sitting on the…"
Friday
Darrell Francis replied to Dud's discussion What would Mayberry look like today?
"Years ago one of Mayberry's citizens left for fame and fortune as a music star. Jim Lindsey…"
Thursday
Darrell Francis posted discussions
Thursday
Larry Grainger replied to Olan Soule's discussion Who's the lady?
"Bruce Bilson, the assistant director for a couple of seasons, said she was also a stand-in for Don…"
Oct 16

© 2017   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service