iMayberry Community

Greetings Mayberryites -

Looking for assistance on a Mayberry research project and need help filling in some blanks.

I have been visiting and re-visiting virtually every online Mayberry resource including books looking for information about the early years of Mayberry. There is little that describes the early years.

I have been able to obtain the following: The "Battle of Mayberry" was in May 1762. The town was burned down in 1870 and there was a financial crisis in 1874.

Perhaps I have overlooked something in my research or, as I suspect, there is really no mention of the early years which leaves it open for interpretation.

I am hoping someone may be able to help with the following and PLEASE cite your source :-)

 Is the" Battle of Mayberry" referring to Mayberry County?
 When was the "County" of Mayberry formed?
 When was the "Town" of Mayberry formed? Incorporated?
 Square miles of the Town?

I have seen a reference in the Mayberry Historical Society on this site that indicates that Mayberry was formed by John Mayberry in 1864. Where was this information obtained?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Randy Higgins

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An interesting article is at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayberry Also, the episodes “The Pageant” and “The Battle of Mayberry” might provide some insight.

Thank you Mayor. I have read that article several times. It is interesting but I'm still trying to figure out which episode has the reference to Lord Mayberry. I can't believe I have overlooked this tidbit.
Randy:

The “Battle of Mayberry” likely took place a good while prior to May 1762. The Raleigh newspaper Opie found with the recounting of the “battle” was published that month, but the article was based on the reporter’s interviews with folks around town who’d told stories of the “battle.” The episode also refers to Mayberry at the time of the “battle” being a “settlement,” so likely not yet a County or Town.

The episode “The Pageant” which aired in 1964, makes reference to the Town’s centennial (that’s “a hunder’d in the Latin language”) celebration. So, I’d say the Town was founded in or about 1864.

Thanks, Phil.

Those are both excellent observations.  

It's really hard to deduct a date for the "battle" but I absolutley agree that it was prior to the newspaper article.  I have to re-watch the episode AGAIN and try to pick up additional clues.

Regarding the Mayberry Centenial mention in "The Pageant" episode I don't recall hearing that reference before.  That's a great clue to help solidify the date of the town founding.

Mayberry being a "settlement" goes hand-in-hand with the actual history of the area being a settlement when the North Carolina territory was still under British rule.

Thnaks for your input, Phil.  Much appreciated.

Randy

The “centennial” reference comes in the opening scene of the episode and in my opinion is a top tier exchange among Andy, Barney, and Opie where Andy and Barney teach Opie about what the word “centennial” means. Comes from the word “centus,” which means “a’hundered in the Latin language.”  Barney refuses to believe “centipede” means a big with a hundred legs because “all them scholars and Romans with all their upbringing ain’t going to be going around talking about crawly little bugs. Not in the Latin language.” So funny. 

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

stephen j goldin is now a member of iMayberry Community
5 hours ago
Phil Sunkel replied to Phil Sunkel's discussion Multiple Personalities
"I must correct my own statement here - Mayor’s Pike daughter was Josephine in The Beauty…"
5 hours ago
Bernie Fife replied to Phil Sunkel's discussion Multiple Personalities
"Bull?"
11 hours ago
George's TV Repair replied to Phil Sunkel's discussion Multiple Personalities
"Bull!  If you watch one of the next few episodes, you will see that they did get one of…"
18 hours ago
"I was always so surprised Barney didn’t recognize this crook the second time around! "
yesterday
"Also, very good catch on Gil, Keev. That is a pretty minor part I had forgotten that one. "
yesterday
"You’re right! He was the one who “never gets to move.”  “I move we use…"
yesterday
"Bingo!!! And this is a tough one, because Daphne (“Hello doll!”) looks NOTHING like…"
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service