iMayberry Community

OK...Let's find the stuff that may not be so obvious, and the ones that make you think, "Hey, I never noticed that before." and post them for all to now be able to notice.

Post the Episode and the thing you noticed.  See my first post as an example.

Views: 22881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True, seems I read somewhere that it is an old one, something like 1954 or so.  Interesting to me that they saved them and used them over and over. 

I wish I had some of those old props from the show. Of course, no one would believe me when I told them!

Did anyone mention the picture of opera composer Giuseppe Verdi that appears in several episodes during council meetings? The picture looks like it should be a town father or something but nope....it's Verdi. 

I bet he couldn’t sing the light classics like Barney did at the musicalé try-outs. 

Ha. Hilarious. But those selections were over their heads. 

Probably could not sing Acapella either! 

Just saw The Mayberry Band episode, I noticed that there was only a bass drum and one snare drum and yet after the band marches past Mayor Stone and goes into the alley to change uniforms back the drum cadence never stops.  That was some special drumming, lol. 

OK. Here's one I think I need help with....In the episode "Opie's Most Unforgettable Character," Andy, Howard, and Goober are sitting on the bench outside the barbershop and Andy is clearly flattered by the idea that Opie is writing his essay (on the most unforgettable character in his life) about Andy himself. Andy, feeling a bit puffed up by all this, says "I guess I have done a little living in my time." The shot moves to Goober and you hear his voice say "you can say that again" in an odd tone but his lips never move. The way the voice is recorded you can tell that this is a "voice-over" and we are hearing Goober's unexpressed thoughts. I'm ashamed to admit that I never noticed it until today. 

Now...this strikes me as exceedingly odd and raises a few questions.

1) Is there any other instance in which we hear a character's thoughts in this manner?

2) What is up with Goober at this moment? Is the tone meant to convey admiration? Some weird sense of judgment or minor resentment (jealousy perhaps)?

3) I have to admit, it sounds like the latter to me. So then what gives? Is Goober still upset about the Flora incident?

Wow Floyd's 2nd Chair, that is absolutely bizarre! I just watched it. He sounds almost resentful, but yet, prior to that there was no resentment.  And the strange look on Goober's face!

In Howard's New Life there were voice-overs of other characters. Also only one of two dream scenes. I love dream scenes - basically anything goes. Opie's dream scene was great too.   

Thanks Mayor! I knew there must be another voice-over somewhere. Do you mean the scene where Howard is lying in bed "haunted" by the travel show he had watched and Opie's criticism of his job? You have a great memory!! That one seems a bit more standard sit-com fare in some ways than this Goober moment, which just seems so odd to me. But still, I should have figured the mayor of the town would come up with another example. Great stuff. 

The Opie dream scene is one of those great TAGS moments. 

And yes...that look on Goober. That Goober has hidden depths; he's a study.

Yes, those were the voice-overs of Howard's New Life.

I remember some of those color episodes from their original broadcasts when I was a kid. We watched the show regularly in our home at that time. I think that is why I have a certain fondness for the color episodes even though the B/W episodes, as a whole, were better. I was only 2 years old during season 1 so even though we watched these episodes, I don't remember much in the first runs of the B/W seasons. Not sure when they started doing reruns. I remember my Uncle John (or Aunt Emma), who would be about 120 years old now, saying how they liked Barney the best from Andy Griffith and lamenting that he was no longer in the later episodes! 

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Here Dud, I see what you mean."
14 hours ago
Jubal Foster replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I believe you're right about the episode being largely flashbacks, but not narrations, like…"
17 hours ago
Larry Grainger replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion The Darling Episodes
"<———And so is that lady in the picture with me. "
18 hours ago
"Yes he is. "
19 hours ago
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"There was the time Andy told Hellen how Barney used Count Istvan Teleky (or however you spell it)…"
yesterday
Dud replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion The Darling Episodes
"Rodney is a nice fellow. I met and talked with him once. He's good people."
yesterday
Bobby Fleet replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I'll get you for this deputy. How about when Any was telling Helen how he dropped of the…"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I believe that is the only "recollection" scene in TAGS?  Any others?   "
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"The part when she is telling the story, the echo is definitely intentional.  When the scene…"
yesterday
Gary W. Burg replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Andy's Dad
"The man seems slim enough to be Don Knott's dad, not Andy's."
yesterday
Gary W. Burg replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Never noticed. Does it seem intentional at all? "
yesterday
"I’m going to see to it that Rodney doesn’t see this page...it might leave him…"
Wednesday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service