iMayberry Community

Have we already discussed this?  If so--'scuse me!  If not, let's think about the different jobs the folks in Mayberry hold down.  Sometimes it seems like some of the citizens have, "no visible means of support".  If they don't have a job, how do they get by?

I'll start with a really obvious one:  Mr. Foley runs the grocery store.  Sometimes I wonder how he makes a living, even in 1960's dollars, with the prices he displays on his store's front windows. 

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wally owns the service station and carries on business with the able assistance (at different times) of his two excellent helpers, Messrs. Gomer and, later, Mr. Goober Pyle.

Don't forget Flora!

Opie was working on a bunch of different professions:

• A professional amateur checker player, i.e. a "riverboat sharpie"
  • Custom wood burned address numbering
  • Newspaper reporter, publisher, promoter and typesetter
  • Drugstore soda dispenser

And, he stated he was going to medical school. But these other professions could be something to fall back on.

What did Thelma Lou do?  I'm sure with the expertise here that this has already been answered, but I've always wondered.

All that has ever been mentioned is that she worked at "the office". I think even Betty Lynn said it was never mentioned on the show.

Asa Breeney, A.K.A. Asa Bascomb, A.K.A. "Rip Van Winkle" was a security guard at the bank by day - and a night watchman at Weaver's Dept Store by night.

That's a lot of workin' for a sleepy fella that old - especially with such a sad pistol and green bullets!

He wasn't above workin' the desk at the hotel either!   (??"If I had a Quarter Million Dollars"??)

He also played the doctor in "Barney's Physical"

Don't forget Freeberger the Sewer Inspector who also gave out traffic citations!

Laura Lee Hobbs worked at the Five and Dime and is going to be ready for the Gold Truck when it comes through.

Actually, Barney clarified this that the truck would be carrying ice cream bars. 

"COLD! You’re COLD! I didn’t say gold, I said cold. Ignore what I just said about gold Juanita. I DID NOT SAY “GOLD”!"

Emmett Clark ran the fix it shop and also had a brief stint as an insurance salesman :)

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"There was the time Andy told Hellen how Barney used Count Istvan Teleky (or however you spell it)…"
3 hours ago
Dud replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion The Darling Episodes
"Rodney is a nice fellow. I met and talked with him once. He's good people."
3 hours ago
Bobby Fleet replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I'll get you for this deputy. How about when Any was telling Helen how he dropped of the…"
4 hours ago
Mayor Pike replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I believe that is the only "recollection" scene in TAGS?  Any others?   "
4 hours ago
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"The part when she is telling the story, the echo is definitely intentional.  When the scene…"
9 hours ago
Gary W. Burg replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Andy's Dad
"The man seems slim enough to be Don Knott's dad, not Andy's."
10 hours ago
Gary W. Burg replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Never noticed. Does it seem intentional at all? "
10 hours ago
Larry Grainger replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion The Darling Episodes
"I’m going to see to it that Rodney doesn’t see this page...it might leave him…"
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Andy's Dad
"Actually the Mayberry history page confirms…"
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Andy's Dad
"I have heard Allan refer to that on various occasions. "
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"This one is small and somewhat insignificant, but interesting nonetheless. In “Andy Saves…"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to SWFLguy's discussion The Bookie Barber
"I remember that episode. Floyd (I mean Andy) gives Wally a shave as prearranged with Wally's…"
Tuesday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service