iMayberry Community

Something that I have always found interesting is how certain TV characters get their "character" names.   In other words, why was it Andy Taylor and not FRED Taylor..........or Andy Taylor and not Andy SMITH?   I have always wondered about this sort of thing, even when I was a child!   I know that Howard McNear played the role of the barber Floyd Lawson....and what a coincidence that Jack Dodson's character was named HOWARD Sprague.   So I can pretty much figure out how Howard Sprague got his name.......they probably took it from Howard McNear.   Just wondering about the other characters in the show.   Do any of you TAGS fanatics out there have any info as to how names for the other characters were chosen?   Just wondering, Thanks In Advance!!!!!  

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

from what I understand a lot of the characters were named after friends or just other people that grew up with Andy in and around his home town of My Airy N.C. In fact reports are that some of the people weren't very approving of this and have brought law suits over this. A lot of the towns and names of businesses around Mt Airy were often mentioned in the show. Floyd's barber shop and Snappy's Lunch are located in Mt Airy. Pilot Mountain is nearby therefore Mt Pilot. Emmett Forrest was Andy's best friend so I suppose Emmett Clark the fix-it man was named after him. I could go on and on but maybe someone else can give you more input. 

That is awesome!   Thank You!

Somebody said, in another discussion, that "Opie" was named after a musician that Andy was a big fan of.  More knowledgeable minds can verify this or shoot it down....

That's correct; Jazz musician, Opie Cates, who both Andy and Sheldon Leonard admired.

I have a copy of Andy's actual High School Granduation program. You'd be amazed at the names on that program that seem to have made it to the TAGS script.

Tell us more, Col!

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Al Becker left a comment for Chuck Hansen
"Welcome to Mayberry!"
yesterday
Al Becker posted a status
"I come into rooms real nice."
Sunday
Al Becker updated their profile
Sunday
Chuck Hansen is now a member of iMayberry Community
Saturday
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion Lessons Learned
"AND his breathing--WOW!!  Eleanora could put a breathing lesson on a feller.  I agree…"
Sep 18
Mayor Pike replied to Thelscuz's discussion Lessons Learned
"He did improve a bit however with the help of Miss Poultice. His "me theys" were…"
Sep 18
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion Lessons Learned
"One lesson ole Barn never did learn was that he was a really BAD singer.  Never could…"
Sep 17
Bernie Fife replied to Thelscuz's discussion Lessons Learned
"Andy sometimes seemed a little thick-headed. In "The Return Of Malcolm Merriweather", it…"
Sep 17
Dud replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"'nothing quite as sweet' or 'nothing half as sweet' as Juanita... Juanita.…"
Sep 15
Kathy Hinkley updated their profile
Sep 14
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Drinkin!"
Sep 11
Eric is now a member of iMayberry Community
Sep 11

© 2017   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by