How much did this and that and one thing and another cost in the 1960's?

How much did stuff cost in the 1960's? Stuff is a lot more expensive now why can't stuff be the cost it was in the 60's?

Proof:

There are signs in Floyd's Barbershop a haircut costs about $2 and now like for a cheap one 10 dollars and then all the way up to 20 dollars maybe.

And in "Andy and Barney in the Big City" Andy thinks its and outrage that a hotel  room costs $7! Now like in the $80 to the hundreds!

Bert Miller sells stuff for like 50 cents which would now cost 5 to 10 dollars!

Stuff's less expensive at the filling station.

Fines at the courthouse cost you know 5 dollars or 2 dollars or 10 dollars and people refuse to pay that much.

There's tons of proof maybe Weavers stuff was really expensive back then to them, but now nothing.

It's just weird.

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stuff's Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy changed between then and now. And I mean RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Changed!

John, you gotta quit eatin' peanut budder sammiches when you play on the electric 'puter.  Your keys are stickin'.

I was emphazing Peirre, I did that on on purpose

Certainly things were cheaper back then and wages were less too.  However it is obvious that the growth in the cost of living in the United States has severely outpaced growth in wages.  Back then, a man could work, own a house, and have a wife stay at home to raise children.  Very few can do that now.  Both husband and wife have to work and are scrapping by raising kids. 

I recall getting a dollar from Dad for the Saturday movies and it bought me 50¢ admission, 25¢ for popcorn, 15¢ for a drink and 10¢ for candy. The only problem was there was 1¢ tax on the food items so if you broke up the dollar for tax, you went without something. I didn't dare ask Dad for 3 pennies after just getting the dollar; I did that once and he took the dollar back, shouting, "IT'S NEVER ENOUGH WITH YOU, NEVER ENOUGH!" So I'd have to hunt me up a couple pop bottles for the 2¢ deposit. Like Opie, pop bottles were one of my main sources of income as a kid.

I gathered up clothes hangers and sold them to the dry cleaners.

I was a kid in the 60s and we were expected to do chores to earn the money to afford "penny" candy. Today, "penny" candy is considered "vintage" so it's not even a penny anymore.

My mother and her dad ran the local grocery store and I vividly remember when hamburger was 49 cents a pound in the late 50's - very early '60's.  They kept a big sign on the front store window to entice customers in--kind of like Mr. Foley did with his windows.

I'm one of the old people now, but back in the day..............gas, 16 cents a ding..........at school I would go down the street to a little café and eat lunch , big hamburger and coke 25 cents..............for a quarter I could go to the movie , get popcorn and coke. My first new car , $ 3490.....payments $ 118 per month , but no problem , I was making  $ 340 per month.!!!!!!

I was a soda jerk at my parents restaurant when I was a kid in the 60's and a fountain Coke was a nickel, a pack of Lance crackers was a nickel, play a game of pinball for a nickel, a candy bar a nickel, 5 songs on the jukebox 25 cents! We sure kept a lot of nickels on hand. Teenagers back then could spend all day hanging out there for less than a dollar....unless they were pinball fanatics! Those were the days.

Obviously, I remember gas and food being a lot cheaper. Comic books were 12 cents. Bus fare was 25 cents, transfers were a nickel. Hamburgers were 20-25 cents, 50 cents for a "deluxe"  Fountain drinks were 10 cents at most drug stores in town.  But, most of all, I remember buying The Best Glazed Doughnuts In The World for 6 cents apiece on my way home from junior high. Nowadays, the bakery is long closed but I still have never tasted better doughnuts.

Gas was sure a lot less than it is now. Just ask Gomer, Goober or Flora.LOL

RSS

Members

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

Latest Activity

Thelscuz left a comment for Carmine Moccio
"Welcome to iMayberry.  Jump right in here and hang on, as Briscoe Darling would say.  All the best to you and yours (as Mr. Gomer Pyle would say)."
2 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""Ft. Lauderdale""
12 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""singing voice""
12 hours ago
Carmine Moccio is now a member of iMayberry Community
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
""Eatin' Goober Peas"?  That 'un always makes me cry...."
yesterday
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion FUN with the LINES from the SHOW
"Ernest T: Cotton so white she stayed there all night. Charlene: That was good, Ernest T. Ernest T: Want to hear me sing ______ ______ ____?"
yesterday
"Otis Campbell."
yesterday
"even things up. "
yesterday
Jane Hinckley replied to Thelscuz's discussion Fact vs Fiction
" We have always assumed Mayberry was a friendly town, but the manicurist didn't find it friendly at all. She was so beautiful she made the wives jealous. So she gave up and went back home to marry Pierre.  The young man who…"
yesterday
Joe Hoover replied to Thelscuz's discussion All The Best to You and Yours
"that one makes me cry...sniff sniff"
yesterday
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion All The Best to You and Yours
"HO, HO, HO, M-E-R-R-Y Christmas! "Away in a manger, No crib for a bed, The little Lord Jesus, Laid down his sweet head..."  (Musical notes surrounding and Andy and Ellie's sweet harmony....)"
Saturday
Dave Cline replied to Thelscuz's discussion All The Best to You and Yours
" "The Christmas Story" "
Saturday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service