How much did this and that and one thing and another cost in the 1960's?

How much did stuff cost in the 1960's? Stuff is a lot more expensive now why can't stuff be the cost it was in the 60's?

Proof:

There are signs in Floyd's Barbershop a haircut costs about $2 and now like for a cheap one 10 dollars and then all the way up to 20 dollars maybe.

And in "Andy and Barney in the Big City" Andy thinks its and outrage that a hotel  room costs $7! Now like in the $80 to the hundreds!

Bert Miller sells stuff for like 50 cents which would now cost 5 to 10 dollars!

Stuff's less expensive at the filling station.

Fines at the courthouse cost you know 5 dollars or 2 dollars or 10 dollars and people refuse to pay that much.

There's tons of proof maybe Weavers stuff was really expensive back then to them, but now nothing.

It's just weird.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stuff's Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy changed between then and now. And I mean RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Changed!

John, you gotta quit eatin' peanut budder sammiches when you play on the electric 'puter.  Your keys are stickin'.

I was emphazing Peirre, I did that on on purpose

Certainly things were cheaper back then and wages were less too.  However it is obvious that the growth in the cost of living in the United States has severely outpaced growth in wages.  Back then, a man could work, own a house, and have a wife stay at home to raise children.  Very few can do that now.  Both husband and wife have to work and are scrapping by raising kids. 

I recall getting a dollar from Dad for the Saturday movies and it bought me 50¢ admission, 25¢ for popcorn, 15¢ for a drink and 10¢ for candy. The only problem was there was 1¢ tax on the food items so if you broke up the dollar for tax, you went without something. I didn't dare ask Dad for 3 pennies after just getting the dollar; I did that once and he took the dollar back, shouting, "IT'S NEVER ENOUGH WITH YOU, NEVER ENOUGH!" So I'd have to hunt me up a couple pop bottles for the 2¢ deposit. Like Opie, pop bottles were one of my main sources of income as a kid.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Latest Activity

Larry Mealer replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Leon's sandwich"
29 minutes ago
Larry Mealer replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Goober's hat"
35 minutes ago
Dave Cline replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Was it Charlene, since the boys don't talk. Still I can't place an episode though."
4 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to Thelscuz's discussion I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...
"More wishes: Opie wished his Pa would believe Mr. McBeevee was real and that he could receive 75 cents allowance. Andy and Helen often wished their friends would leave them alone for a quiet tete-a-tete. Barney and Floyd wished they hadn't run…"
5 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
" Was it due to Aunt Bee's cooking or did it happen in a restaurant. Clue please."
5 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Has anyone noticed that Opie is the only child among the main characters? He has no child relatives.The closest is Helen's niece who visits for a few days. He has many friends at school, but no one in his extended family seems to be married. "
5 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Aunt Bee: Taking part in the County Fair"
5 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Briscoe Darling loved his jug.  He could get the sounds of many musical instruments out of it.  Let's see...banjo, guitar, bass, maybe mandolin.  And while he was getting those sounds out of it, the old jug was still producing…"
6 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....
"Emma loved her pills.  "NAUGHTY Depety!""
6 hours ago
Dave is now a member of iMayberry Community
11 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to Keevy Hazelton's discussion Who Is It?
"Well I be dogged, thanks Thel"
11 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Keevy Hazelton's discussion Who Is It?
"Yes, Dave, they're both showing up just fine.  Think you might need Gomer to work on your computer?"
11 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service