How much did this and that and one thing and another cost in the 1960's?

How much did stuff cost in the 1960's? Stuff is a lot more expensive now why can't stuff be the cost it was in the 60's?

Proof:

There are signs in Floyd's Barbershop a haircut costs about $2 and now like for a cheap one 10 dollars and then all the way up to 20 dollars maybe.

And in "Andy and Barney in the Big City" Andy thinks its and outrage that a hotel  room costs $7! Now like in the $80 to the hundreds!

Bert Miller sells stuff for like 50 cents which would now cost 5 to 10 dollars!

Stuff's less expensive at the filling station.

Fines at the courthouse cost you know 5 dollars or 2 dollars or 10 dollars and people refuse to pay that much.

There's tons of proof maybe Weavers stuff was really expensive back then to them, but now nothing.

It's just weird.

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stuff's Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy changed between then and now. And I mean RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Changed!

John, you gotta quit eatin' peanut budder sammiches when you play on the electric 'puter.  Your keys are stickin'.

I was emphazing Peirre, I did that on on purpose

Certainly things were cheaper back then and wages were less too.  However it is obvious that the growth in the cost of living in the United States has severely outpaced growth in wages.  Back then, a man could work, own a house, and have a wife stay at home to raise children.  Very few can do that now.  Both husband and wife have to work and are scrapping by raising kids. 

I recall getting a dollar from Dad for the Saturday movies and it bought me 50¢ admission, 25¢ for popcorn, 15¢ for a drink and 10¢ for candy. The only problem was there was 1¢ tax on the food items so if you broke up the dollar for tax, you went without something. I didn't dare ask Dad for 3 pennies after just getting the dollar; I did that once and he took the dollar back, shouting, "IT'S NEVER ENOUGH WITH YOU, NEVER ENOUGH!" So I'd have to hunt me up a couple pop bottles for the 2¢ deposit. Like Opie, pop bottles were one of my main sources of income as a kid.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Shorty Cox replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"Briscoe Darling:  "If you got time to breathe, you got time for _______.""
1 hour ago
Dave Cline replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"Opie said: "Shoot the sugar""
10 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Have you ever noticed references outside of Mayberry? I noticed two: Earnest T. Bass has gone off in to the mountains TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.(Book by Harper Lee released in the early 1960's.) In "Return to Mayberry" Barney pays the…"
11 hours ago
Jane Hinckley replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"for dinner.      Barney: A half hour for each ___."
12 hours ago
Mrs. Mendlebright replied to Mrs. Mendlebright's discussion Mayberrians in Other Roles
"Poor Keevy!  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.   My brother was the worst.  We used to stay up on Saturday nights and watch "Thriller,"  while our parents were out square dancing. Once, after we were scared…"
12 hours ago
Michael Z replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"Don't be late for supper. (Aunt Bee's Medicine Man) Opie: Shoot the _______."
12 hours ago
Thelscuz left a comment for Joseph Talaba
"Welcome, Joseph.  Have lots of fun on iMayberry.  All the best to you and yours."
14 hours ago
Thelscuz replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
""and baby makes three" (speaking of his gun, of course) An angry Barney Fife to Andy:  "Why don't you ______________________!""
14 hours ago
Joseph Talaba is now a member of iMayberry Community
15 hours ago
Rick Meadows posted photos
15 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"Opie dreams of winning the ______ _____ ____ at the Sheriff's Boys Day."
18 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to Michael Z's discussion Fill in the Blank _______ !
"You're not talking to a JERK , you know."
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service