How much did this and that and one thing and another cost in the 1960's?

How much did stuff cost in the 1960's? Stuff is a lot more expensive now why can't stuff be the cost it was in the 60's?

Proof:

There are signs in Floyd's Barbershop a haircut costs about $2 and now like for a cheap one 10 dollars and then all the way up to 20 dollars maybe.

And in "Andy and Barney in the Big City" Andy thinks its and outrage that a hotel  room costs $7! Now like in the $80 to the hundreds!

Bert Miller sells stuff for like 50 cents which would now cost 5 to 10 dollars!

Stuff's less expensive at the filling station.

Fines at the courthouse cost you know 5 dollars or 2 dollars or 10 dollars and people refuse to pay that much.

There's tons of proof maybe Weavers stuff was really expensive back then to them, but now nothing.

It's just weird.

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stuff's Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy changed between then and now. And I mean RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Changed!

John, you gotta quit eatin' peanut budder sammiches when you play on the electric 'puter.  Your keys are stickin'.

I was emphazing Peirre, I did that on on purpose

Certainly things were cheaper back then and wages were less too.  However it is obvious that the growth in the cost of living in the United States has severely outpaced growth in wages.  Back then, a man could work, own a house, and have a wife stay at home to raise children.  Very few can do that now.  Both husband and wife have to work and are scrapping by raising kids. 

I recall getting a dollar from Dad for the Saturday movies and it bought me 50¢ admission, 25¢ for popcorn, 15¢ for a drink and 10¢ for candy. The only problem was there was 1¢ tax on the food items so if you broke up the dollar for tax, you went without something. I didn't dare ask Dad for 3 pennies after just getting the dollar; I did that once and he took the dollar back, shouting, "IT'S NEVER ENOUGH WITH YOU, NEVER ENOUGH!" So I'd have to hunt me up a couple pop bottles for the 2¢ deposit. Like Opie, pop bottles were one of my main sources of income as a kid.

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Larry Mealer replied to Michael Z's discussion Contrasting Roles of the same Actor/Actress
"Amzie Strickland played his wife............she also played Miss Rosemary, Otis' sister in law Verlaine,one of the auxiliary ladies in the Bazaar and Myra Tucker in Aunt Bee on TV."
9 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to Deputy Warren Ferguson's discussion Helen Crump
"She was Head Nurse Bradley on House Calls."
12 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to Michael Z's discussion Contrasting Roles of the same Actor/Actress
"Ronda Jeter................Played Sharon Porter, Sharon McCall and Karen Burgress"
13 hours ago
"He was Mr. Brady in "The Inspector " and Mr. Carter in "The Great Filling Station Robbery ""
13 hours ago
Hungry Buzzard replied to Michael Z's discussion Contrasting Roles of the same Actor/Actress
"Willis Bouchey was Fletch Roberts in "Back To Nature" and O'Malley in "Convicts at Large". He may have had other appearances, I can't remember."
13 hours ago
"Jack Prince...............Played Ben Sewell, Rafe Hollister and Luke Rainier ( The Inspector )"
14 hours ago
Larry Mealer replied to Thelscuz's discussion Kinfolks in Mayberry
"" The Case of a Punch in the Nose " Bobby Gribble was engaged to Emma Larch..............Andrew Beasley had a daughter, she dated Bobby Gribble...............Otis and Mr. Foley are relatives of some kind...........Foley is Johnny…"
15 hours ago
"Otis , had a brother Ralph, sister in law , Verlaine and wife, Rita"
18 hours ago
"Dud and Charlene.......husband and wife and little baby Andelina."
18 hours ago
Dave Cline replied to Thelscuz's discussion Kinfolks in Mayberry
"Helen was Ernest T.'s mother figure. (Oh wait, maybe that doesn't count)"
20 hours ago
Joe Hoover replied to Deputy Warren Ferguson's discussion Helen Crump
"She played a judge on The Young and Restless also."
yesterday
Joe Hoover replied to Michael Z's discussion Contrasting Roles of the same Actor/Actress
"He was also Ben Sewell."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service