iMayberry Community

This episode has a mature quality all its own. Does an excellent job highlighting then-and-now aspects of life even these days, maybe especially these days. So many in a hurry contrasted to Mayberry's relaxed atmosphere. Mankind's priorities have changed drastically, and not necessarily for the better. Remember the old days when on Sundays virtually nothing was open? 

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only things that ain't open on Sunday now are the Gumment offices and Chick - Fil - A.

Just watched the episode last night.  To me, this episode has an almost melancholy quality to it.  Do I feel sorry or sad for the man in a hurry?  - or - Maybe it's me just longing for days gone by.    Anyway I'm glad he finally discovers just how slow and peaceful things can be on a Sunday afternoon in a small town. Growing up in a small town myself I can definitely relate.

For sure!  I lived in Springfield, Missouri in the mid-80s, and the Blue Laws were still in effect.  In fact, while I lived there, Walmart was closed on Sunday, but by the time I left in 1987, I think they had begun opening with limited hours, as many stores still do all over the country.  Without being conscious of it, I believe the laid back charm of Mayberry is one of the things that attracts me to the show to this day.  I'm from a small town, and it's pretty much that way here.

'Man in a Hurry' is also a contrast with 'Sermon for Today', hey?

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Dud replied to Roger Worley's discussion Opie's mom?
"Try here: Youtube Video"
yesterday
Cornelia Shields is now a member of iMayberry Community
Monday
Gary W. Burg replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Okay, Which Is It ---Pike or Stoner ?
"Here are two pictures of Sheldon Leonard. One of them shows him as the bartender in that movie."
Monday
Gary W. Burg replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Okay, Which Is It ---Pike or Stoner ?
"Yes, Burt was the cop, played by Ward Bond (Wagon Train), but you have Leonard nailed, cha-ching…"
Monday
Franklin Dickerson replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Okay, Which Is It ---Pike or Stoner ?
"Wow I didn’t know that about them being n A Wonderful Life. I have the DVD, gonna have to…"
Monday
"He was in the 1946 classic "It's A Wonderful Life." Had a bit part, he was the man…"
Monday
Franklin Dickerson replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Okay, Which Is It ---Pike or Stoner ?
"Just watching TCM and I thought I saw Mayor Pike , or the actor -  Dick Elliott, in a movie so…"
Monday
Shorty Cox replied to Gary W. Burg's discussion Okay, Which Is It ---Pike or Stoner ?
"This is a difficult.  Both brought so much to Mayberry.  S-T-O-N-E-R, was good at…"
Sunday
Shorty Cox replied to Roger Worley's discussion Opie's mom?
"Yes,  Andy tells Opie his Ma died, we don't know if it was illness or just being stepped…"
Sunday
Jubal Foster replied to Roger Worley's discussion Opie's mom?
"I've watched Andy since day one, and never saw the Danny Thomas Show episode where Andy tells…"
Sunday
Jubal Foster replied to Roger Worley's discussion Opie's mom?
"Actually, Thelscuz, Opie told Ellie "Ain't got no maw" in "Ellie Comes to…"
Sunday
rb replied to Deborah R's discussion Andy's Awkwardness with a Cigarette
"i always thought the same too.  i'm sure he was smoker (don too), but sure didn't…"
Sunday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service