iMayberry Community

Hi everyone! I am new to the iMayberry community, so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed before. If not, I thought it would be interesting to talk or post pictures from TAGS episodes about the "music in Mayberry": musicians/bands that were featured, songs that were sung, instruments that were played, etc.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like how Barney does Santa Maria solo. He gets that mouth open like nobody else could. 

Next thing you know he'll be singing "The Star Spangled Banner" at the National Insecticide Convention just like Leonard Blush!

Ernest T tuned and played an oil can while singing "Eatin Goober Peas"  

That was "Old Aunt Mariah". What a classic!

Charlene rebuffed his offer to sing "Eatin' Goober Peas". (Kinda wish we coulda heard that one though!)

In "Mayberry on Record" we see Clarence White playing the guitar in Floyd's Barber Shop.  One of the all time gifted guitar pickers ever.  He, with the assistance of couple other pickers, modified his Fender Telecaster to create unique sounds.  He also went on the be a member of the 60's group "The Byrds".  You can now see that Tele being played my Marty Stewart.  It also has its own website.  

All these years both as a TAGS nut and Byrds fan and I never realized that was Clarence White (with his brother Roland on mandolin)!

Looks like the whole group with Andy is the Kentucky Colonels! It never once crossed my mind!

Cool story Marty Stuart tells about how he acquired the very first Fender B-Bender!

My favorite songs from TAGS....

A.   Down In The Valley, by Andy and Peggy

2.   Dooley, by the Darlings

Bernie,  I have to agree.  Peg does a fine job on that song.  

Speaking of music in Mayberry, in the third ep, "Guitar Player" James Best plays the guitar player, however, it is obvious he is not the one playing the guitar.  Does anyone know who the actual guitar player was?  I don't recall seeing and credits given.  

Word is that it was a man named Howard Roberts. He was a very accomplished player with credits on many 60's era TV shows.

He was also a session musician who played with the famed "Wrecking Crew" - a group of studio musicians out of LA who are credited as having played on more hit records than any other group of players in history. They were the most requested session musicians in LA - playing behind many popular recording artists such as Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, Sonny & Cher, The Mamas and the Papas, 5th Dimension, Frank Sinatra, and The Grass Roots. They were also "The Wall of Sound" heard in all those Phil Spector-produced songs.

From wikipedia:

"and the entire Wrecking Crew was inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum in 2007"

Lotta  greats were part of the Wrecking Crew!

Only a couple are in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame though -- which speaks volumes of that ridiculous organization. When The Beastie Boys, Run DMC, and Green Day are inducted before Steve Miller, Heart, Deep Purple, etc. etc. -- their credibility is dubious at best. What a joke!

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Latest Activity

Gary W. Burg replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"And the shift lever on the steering column."
9 hours ago
Shorty Cox replied to mayberryfan's discussion Mayberry Elsewhere
"www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IyNp_oS1KU If it works, here is a link.  "
9 hours ago
Mayor Pike replied to mayberryfan's discussion Mayberry Elsewhere
12 hours ago
Mayor Pike replied to John Lane's discussion Floyd's Stunt Doubles in Goober's Contest
"Wow, nice find Dave Cline!!! I never noticed that before, but clearly that was not the real Barney…"
12 hours ago
Jubal Foster replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"That wasn't too unusual in the days when almost every car had a bench seat, Dave.  Way…"
19 hours ago
Jubal Foster replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Agreed, Wilson.  I enjoyed this conversation at first, but I honestly hate to pick apart my…"
19 hours ago
Shorty Cox replied to mayberryfan's discussion Mayberry Elsewhere
"In "Ride Beyond Vengeance" a movie staring Chuck Connors and James MacArthur (among…"
yesterday
Dave Cline replied to John Lane's discussion Floyd's Stunt Doubles in Goober's Contest
"Jerry Brutsche is Barneys stunt double in "Barneys Sidecar" and Luther's in…"
yesterday
Gary W. Burg replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"No, Franklin, a medal of wow. And fun. The frustrating thing is that we people love to complain,…"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to John Lane's discussion Floyd's Stunt Doubles in Goober's Contest
"There’s a few more folks! Can you name them?"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to John Lane's discussion Opie's Name
"My theory is that it was suggested by Dub Taylor, the guy who was the mailman and a few other…"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to mayberryfan's discussion Mayberry Elsewhere
"In the Christian movie, “Finding Normal” they refer to the small town as…"
yesterday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service