iMayberry Community

My first post might be a stupid idea, but does anyone think (Charles) David Forrest could have been Mr. Schwump?  I gathered the following from IMDB.com:

- He was the uncredited music mixer for Christmas in Connecticut (1945), where Mr. Schwump apparently appeared briefly.

- He was also the sound engineer for nearly all of the Andy Griffith Show episodes during the first four seasons.

- He would have been 61 years old at the time of My Fair Ernest T. Bass, Mr. Schwump's first appearance.

- After that, he did a lot less sound department work.

As David Forrest's sound engineer career was winding down, Mr. Schwump began appearing.  Could he have appeared as Mr. Schwump for fun?

My searches for Schwump / Schwamp & David Forrest didn't return anything, so I'm hoping this hasn't already been ruled out.  However, I won't be too surprised if everyone else knows that he looks nothing like Mr. Schwump!

Views: 6076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad you're on the case, Bobby.

HA!  on the Patch S. Wimmers option:)

Good question, Thelscuz ; I'm also curious as to whether Betty Lynn knows the identity of Mr. Schwump.

Well we aren't exactly sure yet that Patch S. Wimmers isn't Mr. Schwamp. It's still about 50/50. We kind of are at  the stage with Charles David Forrest  that people were at in the Patch S. Wimmers debate. So in reality, the fact is that neither one has been ruled out and that either could in fact be our very own Mr. Schwamp. 

Makes me kinda sad that we may be on the verge of solving the Mr. Schump identity mystery :(  I like just knowing him as Mr. Schump.

I see your point, Sandra.  But I'd really like to know.  If Charles David Forrest IS Mr. Schwamp then we can try to find out more about him and how he came to be on camera.  If CDF is Mr. S he must have been a frustrated actor who enjoyed having his place in the sun...not just doing good work behind the scenes.  It will be interesting to see what we find out.

In any case, we likely wouldn't have known who Charles David Forrest was if we hadn't been trying to investigate Mr. Schwamp!

I know the feeling, Sandra. Sort of like when Boston finally won the World Series.

I am sure that Betty Lynn has been asked.

I recall in what I think was the 1993 cast reunion special on CBS, Andy and Jack Dodson spoke about Mr. Schwump. Neither of course recalled his name, but Dodson says, "He had the worst toupee I've ever scene in my life," and Andy breaks up in laughter.

Steve L, if you're still around, I seriously think you may have been onto something here.  This is a photo of Charles David Forrest from the ancestry.com site, and that smile looks remarkably like Mr. Schwamp's.   Did you ever uncover anything more?

Also, I see several references above seemingly taking the 2012 "Patch S. Wimmers" April Fool's hoax seriously, but this was indeed a hoax, which is documented here:

http://www.mayberry.info/history/index.php?title=Mr._Schwamp    (be sure to read in its entirety)

After seeing the above vintage photo of Charles David Forrest, I believe that is startlingly similar to the smile we saw from Mr. Schwamp at Mrs. Wiley's front door when he was introduced.

I also thought Steve L. had a real possibility here and did a lot of research a couple of years ago and located someone who was very close to David Forrest.  We spoke by phone and I verified that David Forrest unfortunately was not Mr. Schwamp.

On another note I found someone who was a Hollywood extra and even did one TAGS episode.  I asked him about Mr. Schwamp and got the common "he sure looks familiar but I don't know his name."  Maybe there are other extra's out there who may know but time's probably running out on even finding out this way.

Thanks Bobby.    It would almost appear at this point that time has already run out...

I really thought CDF was a strong possibility, particularly given the resemblance in the photo of him holding the infant.

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Floyd's Second Chair replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Is the line about Gomer...when Andy saved his life?"
4 hours ago
Dr. Pendyke replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"Saw Hal Smith on an episode of Peter Gunn. He played the night clerk at a fleabag hotel.…"
11 hours ago
Ralph Henderson replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Uncle Ollie! Here's an easy one: “Well that’s just about the silliest…"
yesterday
"No, not Malcolm either. It's from Season 4."
yesterday
c m smyrl left a comment for ColHarV
"Thank You  "
yesterday
Bernie Fife replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"For the bonus....Malcolm?"
yesterday
Dud replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Kerosene Cucumbers"
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Otis, for sure. Who said “I taught him everything he knows!”"
Monday
Timothy G. liked UT Pendike's discussion TV Land RIP-OFF
Monday
"Here's a good one: "I woulda been here earlier, but I fell in with some evil…"
Sunday
Ralph Henderson replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"Here's a good one: "I woulda been here earlier, but I fell in with some evil…"
Sunday
Dud replied to Dud's discussion TAGS stars found in other productions...
"Our choir director and part-time hotel clerk John Masters (aka Olan Soule) can be found in…"
Saturday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service