iMayberry Community

In "Opie and the Spoiled Kid", Barney says "Of course a really sound safety procedure would be to give each and every citizen of this town a course in Police Identification". 

So how long would this take? The accepted population, as shown in a sign in a Season 8 episode, is 5360. 

(Otherwise it's WHOOSH and he's gone!)

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

25 people per class, one class a week. . .

Well, that would depend on how much time Andy or Barney would have to conduct these courses what with them being so busy out chasing chicken thieves and what not.

Get officer Upchurch from the state police to conduct the class.
When it's his turn to take the class, the reverend might find it to be "dry as dust".

From what I am calculating, about a 100 a month for about 50 months or 4 years. 

This is proof that Mayberry only had a population of about 500 in the B/W years and then in the summer following Season 5, the coal company (where Violet Rose worked) moved in on the outskirts of town, causing the population to boom and increase 10-fold. No longer content with the quiet life, these new folks craved action! And folks suddenly had all these electronic gadgets (for Emmit Clark to fix), and rich suburbs like Walnut Hills sprang up (Opie Steps Up in Class). Suburban sprawl I'll tell you!  Next thing you know everyone's inventing new dances, twitching and jiggling around to rock and roll music (Opie's Group).  It was progress, but it came at a cost!

We need to keep in mind that Barney would only have implemented his plan for Mass-PD-ID during the B&W years when he was in Mayberry (pop. 500).  Heaven only knows what went on after the population explosion caused by the coal company.

Thus, at 25 a week per class (for the easiest possibility) it would only take 5 months to educate the whole town.  Think about the ease of "Sheriffin'" then!  When a stranger came to town an alert citizen (certified by the Barney Fife School of Police Identification) could immediately report it to the Sheriff's office, turning in a typed report with all the particulars at the same time.  Barney could enter it in his logbook for easy reference later on.  Crime-free Mayberry!

The only drawback to this would have been that Barney might have been too busy for rooster-crowing and French-harp playing over the telephone, reading the Police Gazette, or catching a few Z's in the back room.  Everything in life's a tradeoff.  

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Larry Grainger replied to Olan Soule's discussion Who's the lady?
"Bruce Bilson, the assistant director for a couple of seasons, said she was also a stand-in for Don…"
Monday
Mayor Pike replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Have not worked one of those nutcrackers in perhaps 30 or 40 years! So I forgot. But I remember as…"
Sunday
Bernie Fife replied to Thelscuz's discussion Lessons Learned
"Poor Andy just never understood women. And he seemed resigned to his fate. I believe he told Opie…"
Saturday
Bernie Fife replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I see Two Chairs No Waiting is featuring Jeff Pruitt Takes a Wife. In that episode, as Andy and…"
Saturday
Darrell Francis replied to Randy Higgins's discussion Mayberry Fire Department
"I did a Yahoo search under images and found a Mayberry chief car which is a Chevy station wagon…"
Saturday
Randy Higgins replied to Randy Higgins's discussion Mayberry Fire Department
"1871 is the date I chose for the creation of the Mayberry Volunteer Fire Company since that is…"
Saturday
"I have Gomer as a member of the Fire Company as the chief mechanic."
Saturday
"Hi Darrell - My project has been taking a little longer than I planned due to other things taking…"
Saturday
Larry Grainger posted a discussion

Mayberry Christmas 2017

For those of you in the Middle Tennessee area or within driving distance; Rodney Dillard, Maggie…See More
Saturday
Jeff Gossett posted a status
"Anybody know who owns a 1963 Mayberry squad car with Tennessee plates FIFE 63 and a re-elect Andy Taylor bumper sticker"
Friday
Jeff Gossett posted a status
"Test"
Friday
Mayor Pike replied to Mayor Pike's discussion Things We Wonder About
"I wonder where the other 5300 people of Mayberry were hiding. The population is reported to be…"
Friday

© 2017   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service