iMayberry Community

I believe there was an old discussion of this nature, but it is probably buried a bit, so I will start a new one. What are some things you wonder about?

I wonder what the "T" in Ernest T. Bass stands for?

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scummm rises to the top!!  Maybe the principal was praying that after grade 12 she would graduate and move on.  

Why did they keep the keys to the cells on the wall right between the cells? Why not keep them on the other side of the room? That's practically speaking of course. In TV land that made for more drama.

How else was Otis supposed to let himself out after his time was up?

Well, in their defense, they did have "Maximum Security". Keys in the drawer. 

Did you say 'drawer' or 'door' cause I thought you said 'door'.

When Andy has to deliver Sam the farmer's new son, Barney keeps Sam occupied with at least 17 Army stories.  He begins with "I did my part to beat the dreaded hun."  How many people would know what that meant ?  The writers put things like that in often that I think only they and a small no. in the audience would have any clue as to what they meant.  Why did they do that ?

I think phrases like that were very well known at the time but the producers and writers had no idea that America would be watching reruns over sixty years later and after the phrase had long been discarded by society. I catch a lot of instances of accepted idioms that have gone by the wayside. 

If you were to read up on General Patton, you would know the term "hun"! But not too many are doing that these days. 

I wonder where the other 5300 people of Mayberry were hiding. The population is reported to be 5360. The most I had seen were greeting the gold truck and also the ones at the train station to meet Teena Andrews. Maybe 60 at the most. 

I used to wonder whether Aunt Bee got a pilot's license until my friend took flying lessons. You can solo as a test, but you don't get a pilot's license until you pass a really difficult written exam. That is why we never see Aunt Bee fly again. Once she soloed, she was satisfied.

I wonder how she soloed in a small plane when she couldn't operate a car with a clutch. Landing a plane is a hundred times harder to learn than how to drive. At least it was for me.

Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention, but were all the vehicles in Mayberry automatic? Even the trucks? The body movement of the driver of a manual vehicle is different from that of the driver of an automatic.

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Bernie Fife replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Brine tester"
8 hours ago
Mayor Pike replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"El Truckos"
Saturday
Dr. Pendyke replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Checkpoint Chickie"
Friday
Wendy Holland replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Shiny hat"
Friday
Wendy Holland replied to ColHarV's discussion Say a Word
"Wretch"
Friday
Shorty Cox replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Miss Harriett will take care of that"
Friday
David Browne replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Dog tags  "
Thursday
David Browne replied to Bernie Fife's discussion Say two words?
"Count Teleky"
Thursday
David Browne replied to ColHarV's discussion Say a Word
"Marines. "
Thursday
"Loon"
Thursday
"Camping"
Thursday