iMayberry Community

watching on tv land and when Andy got home, Malcolm asked him if the would like some supper, he had a lovel bubble and squeak ready...thanks to the internet, I now know what that is.  (Andy had something in town, so he didn't try it.

Bubble and squeak is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The main ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, or any other leftover vegetables can be added. The chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potatoes or crushed roast potatoes until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The dish is so named because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process.[1] It is often served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles or brown sauce, or as an accompaniment to a full English breakfast.

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're not from around here are you?  

Actually   I love great gobs of comfort food like this.  I also wouldn't mind some toad-in-the hole, right now, or maybe some shepherd's pie now that the weather is cooling down.

Since it's sometimes served with pickles, I wonder if Malcolm ever asked Bee if she had any.

Yesterday’s Jeopardy had a category headed __________&_________.  The $2000 “answer” was, you guessed it, Bubble & Squeak.  And, one of the contestants got it.

I wonder if the Darlings came over for dinner during a Malcolm visit if they’d yell BUBBLE AND SQUEAK! when they needed more.

This worked well in the Taylor household - Aunt Bee loved making pot roast and at times had hundreds of pounds on hand. 

Okay. I thought it was called bubble and squeak for another reason.

Mrs. M...speaking of comfort food:  My husband's aunt used to call whatever she made out of leftovers or the odd bits of stuff she found in the frig or pantry, "slumgulleon".  It was always good and we sure felt comforted after we ate a big mess of it.  I never did know where she got the name, though.

BTW, my grandmother always called "enough of something to make a meal" "a mess".  As in, "I caught a mess of fish and Mama's cooking them for supper."  Or, "If you'll pick me a mess of turnip greens I'll cook them for dinner."

We lived in Middle Tennessee and she was originally from Western Kentucky.  Guess that's how they talk when they ain't from around here....

RSS

Members

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

Ralph Henderson replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Never noticed that before, chickie! Way to make the scene!"
yesterday
Bobby Fleet replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"I've also noticed then Gomers legs are hanging off the roof, and the gun slides off the roof,…"
yesterday
Rare Nickle replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"BREAD"
yesterday
Ralph Henderson replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"FINALLY!!! It was Goober in Season 6: "Look Paw, I'm Dancing!" I didn't think…"
Monday
"That O'Malley was a sneaky one. He managed to sneak in a year-and-a-half later in Season 4 as…"
Monday
Rare Nickle replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Have you ever noticed? In the “ convicts at large “ episode, Andy greets Mr…"
Monday
Bernie Fife replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"That is definitely trained noticing!"
Sunday
"Just noticed in the "Barney's Sidecar" episode in season 4 that the two American…"
Sunday
Ralph Henderson replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"All these years both as a TAGS nut and Byrds fan and I never realized that was Clarence…"
Saturday
Shorty Cox replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"In "Mayberry on Record" we see Clarence White playing the guitar in Floyd's Barber…"
Saturday
Ralph Henderson replied to ColHarV's discussion Say a Word
""Falderal" That's one you don't hear every day!"
Friday
Ralph Henderson replied to mayberryfan's discussion Music In Mayberry
"That was "Old Aunt Mariah". What a classic! Charlene rebuffed his offer to sing…"
Friday

© 2018   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service