iMayberry Community

Often times I try to figure out what the Mayberry prices would equate to, in today's dollars. So I created a chart below showing equivalent prices, based on an inflation calculator I found online. For example, the $4 ticket Barney gave to Fred Plummer would be about $30 today!  Thirty dollars, just for sweepin!

For simplicity, one could use $8 for every $1 of Mayberry money as a good average. 

Let's start do'in some figur'in!

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Opie's 3 cents goes to 24 cents. Andy still wouldn't be impressed.
Barney's car - $2400
No wonder he was moping around so badly after it turned out to be a lemon.

Didn't that feller with the change purse lose $50?  No wonder Opie was so excited when he found it.  That would be equal to $400 today!!

$408.00

Ope got $8.00 for trying to sell Miracle Salve.

So today Floyd would have lost $1,600 in Goobers' give away contest. Boy, you thought he was mad back then.

One of the bookies working out of Floyd's shop paid an inflation adjusted price of $12 for a facial to "improve his face" !

I don't know about Mayberry, but in Kansas City when I was 13 in 1963, a deluxe hamburger with all the fixin's ( and we didn't used to put cheese on everything so it didn't include that ) was $0.30, now, a good one is about $6.00.  A hotdog with onions, relish and mustard was a a dime when on sale, today they're $0.79 at one fast food burger chain but the "gourmet" places charge $2.50+  And I think the food in general was better back then :0)

In the late 1950's a truck stop out on the highway about two miles from our house offered hamburgers:  "2 for a Quarter".  That was for 2 buns each with a hamburger patty with ketchup.  Came in handy when you had "too much week at the end of the money."  Juanita didn't serve it though:(

So they had "dollar burgers" back then too! But I bet they were a lot better than the ones we have now.

Truck Stops !  We had one on the other side of town off the Interstate that had thee best chicken fried steak I've ever tasted.  I can't recall how much it was, but when dad would take us all out there on Sunday for dinner, you know it was good.  They had everything on the menu, it was all good and reasonably priced.  I remember it was always full of truck drivers who had their own section with their own waitresses so they could get in, eat and get back on the road.  I wish we still had more places like those !

I think the lunch special of Vienna sausages in tomato purée, which impressed Barney so much, was 80 cents, so about $6.40 today. And with Andy and Barney both leaving a quarter tip on a tab of roughly $1.70, that's like a 30% tip for the widow Olive. Good job, boys!

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Rex West joined Allan "Floyd" Newsome's group
Thumbnail

Mayberry Squad Car Owners

Owners of replicas of Mayberry Squad Cars now have a place to gather and share their cars with each…See More
28 minutes ago
Bernie Fife replied to ColHarV's discussion Have YOU ever NOTICED?
"Annabelle Silbey (season 1, #8) and the lady shoplifter (season 4, #21) were both played by Lurene…"
7 hours ago
Bernie Fife left a comment for Scott J. Payne
"A confederate flag?"
yesterday
Larry Grainger replied to ColHarV's discussion WHO said that?
"Barney speaking to Gomer in The Haunted House, after Gomer reappeared from the secret door."
yesterday
Mayor Pike replied to Steve Stanchfield's discussion Hi Folks... new to the forum- is this the earliest footage of Don Knotts?
"Shazam, you may be right! At least IMDb says so. "
yesterday
Donna Sanders liked Steve Stanchfield's discussion Hi Folks... new to the forum- is this the earliest footage of Don Knotts?
yesterday
Steve Stanchfield posted a discussion

Hi Folks... new to the forum- is this the earliest footage of Don Knotts?

Hello iMayberry folks!I've loved the Andy Griffith show since I was a kid, watching the reruns on…See More
yesterday
Donna Sanders joined Allan "Floyd" Newsome's group
Thumbnail

Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast

Join host Allan Newsome for Two Chairs No Waiting and enjoy a podcast about "The Andy Griffith…See More
Monday
Mayor Pike replied to Michael's discussion Dinner At Eight
"But now we all know the secret ingredient: O-R-E-G-A-N-O !"
Sunday
Matt Hurley replied to Thelscuz's discussion Music Hath Charms to Sooth the Savage...
"I saw this too! I also noticed that in a couple episodes of Leave it to Beaver, that Eddie…"
Sunday
Profile IconMatt Hurley, Steve Stanchfield and Fred Plummer joined iMayberry Community
Sunday
Thelscuz replied to Thelscuz's discussion Music Hath Charms to Sooth the Savage...
"I always thought it was touching the way Miss Poultice held her head high despite having a twin…"
Saturday

© 2017   Created by Allan "Floyd" Newsome.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service